Clear evidence of falsification of data should now close the door on this damaging vaccine scare
In a series of articles starting this week, and seven years after first looking into the MMR scare, journalist Brian Deer now shows the extent of Wakefield’s fraud and how it was perpetrated.
The alleged MMR/autism fraud was exposed this week by the British Medical Journal. Below are the links to the main documents in this case.
The original article:
Wakefield AJ, Murch SH, Anthony A, Linnell, Casson DM, Malik M, et al. Ileal lymphoid nodular hyperplasia, non-specific colitis, and pervasive developmental disorder in children. Lancet 1998;351:637-41. Full Text
Retraction–Ileal-lymphoid-nodular hyperplasia, non-specific colitis, and pervasive developmental disorder in children. Lancet 2010 Feb 6;375(9713):445.
The BMJ editorial:
Godlee F, Smith J, Marcovitch H. Wakefield’s article linking MMR vaccine and autism was fraudulent [editorial]. BMJ January 5, 2011; 342:c7452.
Journalist Brian Deer’s article in the BMJ:
Deer, Brian. Secrets of the MMR scare: How the case against the MMR vaccine was fixed. BMJ January 5, 2011;342:c5347
Brian Deer’s blog entry:
Piltdown medicine: The missing link between MMR and autism. Jan. 6, 2011.
Globe & Mail article:
Picard A. Medical fraud revealed in discredited vaccine-autism study. The Globe and Mail, Jan. 6, 2011.
Determination on Serious Professional Misconduct (SPM) and sanction [of] Dr Andrew Jeremy WAKEFIELD. This case is being considered by a Fitness to Practise Panel applying the General Medical Council’s Preliminary Proceedings Committee and Professional Conduct Committee (Procedure) Rules 1988. Date: 24 May 2010
Fitness to Practice Hearing – General Medical Council. Date: 28 January 2010
- Bell H. Test anxiety. Minn Med 2010 Nov;93(11):24-8.
- Mettner J. Grand rounds’ growing pains. Minn Med 2010 Nov;93(11):8-10.
- Kiser K. Credit for change. Minn Med 2010 Nov;93(11):14-6.
- Peota C. Learning styles. Minn Med 2010 Nov;93(11):11-3.
- Meyer CR. Searching for relevance in a sea of CME. Minn Med 2010 Nov;93(11):4.
- Deye DL. CME ASAP. Minn Med 2010 Nov;93(11):30-1.
- Brandt B, Shanedling J. Is the CME system obsolete? Minn Med 2010 Nov;93(11):35-7.
- Patow CA, Bryan DJ. Engaging physicians in CME: the power of theater. Minn Med 2010 Nov;93(11):38-40.
Here is a selection of Christmas songs, ranging from the sublime (the Opera Company of Philadelphia’s Hallelujah Chorus – A Random Act of Culture) to the ridiculous (Adam Sandler’s Santa Song). Turn up your sound, and have a very Merry Christmas!
- Tom Lehrer. A Christmas Carol
- Sufian Stevens. That was the Worst Christmas Ever another version
- Eartha Kitt. Santa Baby
- Adam Sandler. Santa Song
Note: If you did not like this, you will certainly not enjoy Sandler’s Chanukah Song
- This isn’t a song, but it is certainly enjoyable: The Digital Story of the Nativity